TO KNOW THE UNKNOWN

Monday, May 01, 2006

Profile today


As I looked out of the tiny window of the multistoried building,
I saw-----

Vast stretches --- of concrete jungle
Of red rubble --- of brick, of unseen dreams....
And, my future.
A city --- of joy, of frustration, of success, of failure.
And there I was sitting comfortably as the manager---
Feeding on my dignity, fame, and money.
Not pausing to think--- how many live, how many survive
And how many exist in this city.
These words meant nothing after my schooldays
Now, everything I did, I did, as the world wanted me to do
There was a time when I did things I wanted to do.
When I said words, which made them, smile
Words that were said without a voice----
That which would draw a smile inevitably.
A smile it was and not the mere extension of the lips
As it was, now.
Then on meeting a friend I would've extended my arms,
Or probably given a warm welcome, or, embraced
Would've sat under a Banyan tree and erase the hands of time
Drink from the same glass and talk incessantly!
But now, the very thought gave me shivers

I was a lofty official---
Living on my ego, and a seven-figured salary.
I looked at the world through powerless glasses
I moved in an AC car with windows rolled up
For, I knew, the world had nothing to offer me
Because I never saw the rainbow. Not anymore...
It was only the glaring sun, when I looked up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anirban said...

Honestly speaking this is the ideal piece of writing I have ever read on the fading away of simplicity from our lives....its really heartening to know that I have a friend who is still so far removed from superficiality....u have an amazing style of writin buddy but here its kudos 2 ur amazing style of thinkin

Tue May 02, 03:22:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Rijoo said...

awsome pic.. u captured it? :)

Tue May 23, 01:48:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home